Thursday, September 10, 2009

26 or 29 on my next Singlespeed MTB???



I am lovin' the look of next years Kona Unit but have always read that for short riders 29ers don't fit the bill. In the last couple weeks I have found that there is a new thought on this. I read a decent article that has made me rethink the big wheel - small guy issues "The 26-inch Hard Tail is Dead". I may not agree with the title but the information inside seems to make sense. Was talking to a guy the night before the 24 Hours of Hot August Nights over beers who shared these opinions. He said to me "It is an amazing feeling to coast down a hill passing 26ers who are pedaling". He is the owner of Misfit Psycles so may be a little biased. I am loving the diSSent FE frame and associated build kit but am a little poor to ride a toy like that.

Prior to all of this I was trying to figure out how I would fund raise enough to buy myself a Kona Explosif frame and a decent build kit to go with it next year. All excited that Kona has decided to release the 26er chromo Singlespeed compatible frame again.

Oh well, will probably end up thinking about this far too long and wind up broke next year anyhow. I will live to contemplate another day. In the end I will probably just replace the bottom bracket in the old Nishiki and keep on pounding the pedals on that fun old toy. Maybe I will pour over this topic on my 20K lunch hour ride on the old fixie today....

More next time... I'm out...

2 comments:

  1. humbug.
    order the (fe) and be done with it.

    you'll be happier, more popular and two magnates in CDN cycling benefit monetarily.

    otherwise you'll buy something else, ride it for a while, recognize it's inferior aura and buy the (fe) anyway.
    this way it's like saving monies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have same the shopping philosophy as my wife!! :)
    I am starting a penny pile and if it gets big enuf I would definitely choose a (fe) all done up my way. Won't be banging down your door this week tho :)

    ReplyDelete

egggman's Zazzle